Greenwich Police Rescue Unconscious OG Man after Accidental Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

On Friday September 16th Greenwich Police received a report of an unconscious male in a condominium at 51 Old Kings Highway in Old Greenwich.

According to Greenwich Police who received the call around 1:15pm, the Greenwich Fire Dept was already on scene, and police were able to remove the unconscious man with the Fire Dept’s assistance.

According to Lt. David Nemecek, an officer entered the unit and discovered the location of the unconscious man. Because the residence had a high level of carbon monoxide, the officer exited the residence but returned after windows and doors were opened to ventilate the residence.

According to Lt Nemecek, the carbon monoxide was at a dangerously high level of 255 parts per million.

Rescue workers wore breathing devices and entered the residence, as well as neighboring units, which were unoccupied.

According to Lt Nemecek, when there is life danger situtuation, police may break down doors or windows to gain entry. “That is standard,” he said. “But it does not happen often.”

After the officer entered the residence the second time, the victim was removed and GEMS transported him to Norwalk Hospital emergency room where there is a hyperbaric chamber.

According to Chris Pratico, the fire marshal in charge, “A carbon monoxide reading of 100 parts per million will give you a headache in a couple hours. A count of 200 will give you loss of judgement in a couple hours. A count of 800 results in dizziness, nausea and convulsions within 45 minutes. Who knows how long he was exposed to it?”

“Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas you can’t smell, taste or see. It’s called the silent killer,” Pratico said. “It slowly incapacitates you and you don’t even realize it’s happening.”

“This doesn’t happen very often in Greenwich,” Pratico said.

“It looks like it was a pure accidental exposure,” Nemecek said. “It’s possible a car was left running in the garage and shut off due to lack of oxygen, which would be possible. It could have run out of gas and shut itself off.”

Lt Nemecek said the officer did a great job in dangerous circumstances.

The incident is still under investigation. This story will be updated when more information becomes available.

 

 

 

 

 

Comments are closed.