On Thursday Greenwich First Selectman Fred Camillo said Governor Ned Lamont had informed him that the Connecticut Dept of Transportation was withdrawing its plan for the refurbishment of the I-95 corridor from Exit 2 to Exit 6.
“Governor Lamont has informed me that he has directed the DOT to withdraw the current project and revisit it to develop a more comprehensive project solution,” Camillo said, adding, “I am pleased that the grassroots efforts of our residents, along with the collaboration of our legislative delegation and Dept of Public Works were successful.”
Camillo added that the town was able to show the State that there was a need for a more comprehensive plan to mitigate the noise generated by highway traffic, which he noted had a negative impact on residents and the environment.
The Dept of Transportation had previously announced that the $205 million rehabilitation project would begin this fall and last at least three years.
Camillo’s release said the State DOT had been directed by the Governor to undertake a new review of the project’s scope to better address the needs of our community and highway users.
“In the interim, the state plans to conduct a pavement rehabilitation project in the area this fall,” he said, adding that details, including timelines would announced in coming weeks.
“I thank Governor Lamont and DOT Commissioner Joseph Giulietti for understanding the impact this project would have on our neighborhoods and on our residents’ quality of life,” Camillo added.
Reached by phone State Rep Steve Meskers (D-150) was happy to hear the update.
“I want to personally thank the Riverside Association, the Stop 95 Noise committee and the Byram Neighborhood Association for their strong advocacy and support in our battle to get the DOT to listen to our community. I think it’s a great day for our community and it speaks to the Governor and his keen understanding of our needs, and I thank him profusely for his strong collaboration in our effort.”
“I’m personally happy to have been of any assistance to our community,” Meskers added.
State Senator Ryan Fazio (R-36) reached out to say the Greenwich community had been heard.
“It has been a team effort led by concerned and community-minded residents,” he said. “I thank the governor and DOT for taking this step, and kudos to First Selectman Camillo, Greenwich DPW, and my legislative colleagues for all speaking with one voice. It is encouraging to see the positive results when we unite and speak out on important quality-of-life issues.”
Feb 13, 2021
Jan 24, 2021