On Friday the CT Dept of Economic & Community Development shared the details Governor Lamont’s pause on team sports that he announced on Thursday.
The rules impact team sports (team is considered a group of more than 4 people jointly engaged in an organized or recreational athletic activity on a court, field, etc), as well as gyms and fitness centers.
The rules take effect Monday, November 23 and will be in effect until January 19, 2021.
The pause impacts all sporting activities, except collegiate and professional. (Teams that view themselves as professional must obtain approval from the Dept of Economic and Community Development.)
What is prohibited during Team Sports on Pause:
- Participation in *High Risk Sports (other than conditioning/non-contact drills)
- All Team scrimmages, competitions, camps, clinics and tournaments (including all interscholastic, “pick-up” games, and other informal athletic activities)
- Participation in out-of-state Team practices (including conditioning), competitions, camps, clinics and tournaments by CT residents
- Participation in competitions, camps, clinics, tournaments in CT by out-of-state Teams
- Teams are not able to break up into smaller groups to practice or compete (e.g. a 20 person team practicing or competing in groups of 4 or less at the same time and location is not allowed)
What is allowed during Team Sports on Pause:
- Outdoor Recreation activities
- Individual and small group training (4 people or fewer)
- Individual and small group Moderate and Low Risk Sports (4 people or fewer)
- Gyms and fitness centers (masks now required, no exceptions, minimum 6 foot spacing and other Sector Rule Safeguards)
- Group Fitness Classes & Dance Studios, Yoga, Martial Arts Instruction, etc.
- Reduced to 25% capacity (from 50%)
- Masks now required, no exceptions
- Subject to minimum 6 foot spacing and other Sector Rule Safeguards
- School Gym Classes (No Team sports subject to Pause to be played)
- Professional teams that obtain DECD approval and Sanctioned Interscholastic College Sports (Recreational/Club sports on college campuses are subject to Team Sports on Pause rules
Risk Categorizations with Associated Sports, National Federation of State High School Associations, Sports Medicine Advisory Committee.