On Friday, May 15, Greenwich Health Dept announced that 741 residents have tested positive for COVID-19 to date. That represents 5 more cases than the 736 reported on Wednesday, May 13.
A month ago, on April 15th, 499 Greenwich residents had tested positive, which was an increase of 105 from the previous day. And the day before that there had been an increase of 65 cases.
Greenwich Hospital reported that as of Friday, May 15 there were 31 patients being treated for COVID-19, which represents a drop of 9 patients from Wednesday.
To date, 473 patients have been discharged from the Hospital and 6,215 people have been tested at the Hospital outpatient test site, with 1,818 testing positive.
As of Thursday, May 14th, 43 Greenwich residents had died from COVID-19.
On his Friday afternoon press teleconference, First Selectman Fred Camillo said the town’s annual Fourth of July fireworks displays at Greenwich Point Park and Binney Park – scheduled for July 3 – have been cancelled.
“I am disappointed, as I am sure thousands of residents will be. In discussions with leaders of the Parks and Recreation, Police, Fire and Public Works departments, it is evident that given the sheer numbers of people who attend these annual events, we cannot ensure proper social distancing and the safety and health of residents and Town employees for these two events,” Mr. Camillo said. “My concern is that these mass
gatherings are recipes to reverse the trend of slowing the spread of this virus.”
Camillo said the town is doing well mitigating the spread of COVID-10. “But something like this would pose a great danger and could cause us to take a significant step backward,” he added.
Mr. Camillo also said the Town will continue to monitor the data on new diagnoses, deaths and social distancing patterns, with the hope that the town may be able to schedule an alternative date in late summer or early fall for the annual fireworks displays.
“We’re holding out hope,” Camllo said.