The US government is offering residential households a chance to order free COVID test kits at no cost. It is a very easy application and request process. The form asks your name and address, and optional email if you wish to receive shipping notifications. The tests kits will be delivered by the US Postal Service.
Every home in the US is eligible.
To order four free at-home COVID-19 tests go to covidtests.gov and click on “order free at-home tests.” You will get a receipt from the US Postal Service.
Residential households in the US can order one set of 4 free at-home tests.
Here’s what you need to know about your order:
- Limit of one order per residential address
- One order includes 4 individual rapid antigen COVID-19 tests
- Orders will ship free starting in late January
- Are rapid antigen at-home tests, not PCR
- Can be taken anywhere
- Give results within 30 minutes (no lab drop-off required)
- Work whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms
- Work whether or not you are up to date on your COVID-19 vaccines
- Are also referred to as self-tests or over-the-counter (OTC) tests
Orders will usually ship in 7-12 days.
Take an at-home test:
- If you begin having COVID-19 symptoms like fever, sore throat, runny nose, or loss of taste or smell, or
- At least 5 days after you come into close contact with someone with COVID-19, or
- When you’re going to gather with a group of people, especially those who are at risk of severe disease or may not be up to date on their COVID-19 vaccines.
If you need a COVID-19 test now, please see other testing resources for free testing locations in your area.
In Connecticut low or no-cost testing is available at select pharmacies and local health centers:
- CVS Health
- Local independent pharmacies
- Rite Aid
- Walmart in partnership with Quest Diagnostics
- Find a health center near you. Please call ahead to make an appointment.
For local testing information, visit the Connecticut health department’s website .