If you’ve missed all the holiday boutiques around town, and are just starting your holiday shopping, the Greenwich Exchange for Women’s Work on Sherwood Place is a great destination.
The Exchange is a reliable resource for thoughtful, one-of-a-kind gifts, while providing a retail venue for vendors who consign their crafts and wares. Modestly priced, the handmade gifts defy the imagination, filling room after room with options displayed attractively and without clutter.
The Christmas Store at the Greenwich Exchange for Women’s Work. Credit: Leslie Yager
While consignors receive 67% of the selling price, the remaining 33% is used for operating expenses and local charitable contributions. The Exchange is managed by a volunteer Board of Directors, who also volunteer alongside staff year-round and at the non-profit’s annual Christmas Fair at the Round Hill Club in November.
When you stop in, make sure to head out the back door to the courtyard where there is a separate small building housing “The Christmas Store.” The ivy covered building is bursting with holiday ornaments and clever gift ideas.
The Greenwich Exchange for Women’s Work, at 28 Sherwood Place is a great destination for thoughtful, one-of-a-kind and handmade gifts. Credit: Leslie Yager
A couple of the unique offerings are gloves made from re-purposed cashmere sweaters. The artist boils and blocks the cashmere before fashioning the one-of-a-kind gloves. There are some terrific shoulder bags with smaller accessory bag inside priced at just $48 (look for them elsewhere in town for twice as much).
The Greenwich Exchange for Women\’s Work, at 28 Sherwood Place is a great destination for thoughtful, one-of-a-kind and handmade gifts. Credit: Leslie Yager
Incorporated in 1901 the Greenwich Exchange became a charter member of the Federation of Woman’s Exchangesin 1936. Launched at a time when women were largely excluded from the workplace and providing “a shop where ‘genteel poor’ women could earn money by consigning their home-made, hand-crafted items,” the Greenwich Exchange perseveres while others have closed.