It’s that time of year again. If your child has a teacher — or if you are a student and want to nominate your great teacher, it’s nomination season for the coveted Distinguished Teacher! The 2016 Distinguished Teachers Awards Nomination Packets are now available.
The deadline for Nominations is March 3, 2016, 5:00 p.m.
Save-the-Date: Distinguished Teachers Awards Ceremony at the Greenwich High School Performing Arts Center, Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 4:00 p.m.
Established in 1984, the DTAC has been recognizing and celebrating excellence among the dedicated teaching staff of the Greenwich Public Schools for over thirty years. Each year,
DTAC selects up to six Distinguished Teachers from nominations submitted by parents, students, colleagues, and members of the community. The six Distinguished Teachers are selected based on the following criteria:
• Inspires enthusiasm, expects students to take responsibility for their own learning and elicits a high level of achievement from students in relation to their individual abilities
• Demonstrates and continues to pursue a high mastery of subject matter and best practices for instruction
• Earns the respect of students, parents and colleagues
•Communicates effectively with parents and students
• Collaborates and makes contributions to improve overall student achievement within the classroom
• Makes contributions to improve the school and/or District beyond the classroom
To be eligible for nomination the candidate must be a full time staff member who is currently teaching in the Greenwich Public Schools (GPS); and has been a teacher for at least five years, three of which must be in the Greenwich Public Schools.
Each year, one of the six Distinguished Teachers is selected to represent Greenwich in the Connecticut Teacher of the Year Program. Greenwich Distinguished Teachers have been selected as Connecticut Teacher of the Year semifinalists and/or finalists in five of the last eight years. The 2008 Greenwich Distinguished Teacher, Anthony Mullen was subsequently selected as the 2009 CT Teacher of the Year and the 2009 National Teacher of the Year.
For more information on the Distinguished Teachers Awards Program go to