Five students from Greenwich won National Merit Scholarships for $2,500. The winners were announced this week by the the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
The winners were selected from over 15,000 finalists in the 2017 National Merit Scholarship Program.
The five $2,500 Merit Scholar recipients from Greenwich:
- Kasey Luo, a student at Rye Country Day School
- Whitney E. Elmlinger, a student at Greenwich Academy
- Taylor J. Huffman, a student at Brunswick School
- Duncan Khosla, a student at Rye Country Day School
- William Yin a student at Greenwich High School
National Merit Scholarship winners are the students in each state judged to have the strongest combination of accomplishments, skills, and potential for success in rigorous college studies.
The number of winners named in each state is proportional to the state’s percentage of the nation’s graduating high school seniors.
On June 7 and July 17, some 4,000 college-sponsored Merit Scholarship winners will be announced.
By the conclusion of this year’s competition, about 7,500 academic champions will have won National Merit Scholarships worth more than $32 million.