The Greenwich Commission on Aging is collaborating with Greenwich High School, under the stewardship of Headmaster Ralph Mayo, to connect high school students with older adults in our community who would like to receive a regular friendly telephone call.
The need for daily socialization, social interaction and connection with others has never been more important than now.
Practicing social distancing doesn’t mean that we have to be socially disconnected.
It is vital to adhere to CDC guidelines for safe distances, even if you are feeling fine. The World Health Organization has started to call it “physical distancing” instead of “social distancing,” to help people understand the importance of social connections without being physically present.
Humans need social interaction to boost our mental health, reduce our stress, relieve depression and give us a sense of belonging. Staying inside day after day can be fatiguing. Daily routines and schedules have been disrupted for residents of all ages.
If you are an older adult interested in receiving a regular call to connect, chat and check-in, please call or email Sharon Wilson at Greenwich High School at email@example.com.
About the Town of Greenwich Commission on Aging:
As an overall planning department for older persons in Greenwich, it has been an official department of Town government since 1975. Their mission is to improve the quality of life for older Greenwich residents through planning, coordination, advocacy, education and Senior Center programming.
• Manages the Greenwich Senior Center
• Advocates on behalf of older adult residents, as a class, in the Town of Greenwich
• Identifies unmet needs of older adults, conducts research and collects data
• Provides information to the community on the needs of older adults, serves as a clearing house for disseminating information and providing education on issues affecting older adults and caregivers
• Facilitates information on programs and benefits, as well as referral to services
• Convenes meetings and serves as a forum for issues concerning older adults, as a class
• Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with community, professional and governmental agencies
• Administers Medicare and Health Insurance Counseling and Share-the-Fare Taxi Voucher program
• Publishes the Resource Guide for Older Adults and coordinates the Aging Well series and Caregivers Circle program
• Works cooperatively with residents, Town Departments and Community Stakeholders on the designation of Greenwich as an Age and Dementia Friendly community