High Speed Chase in Riverside Ends in Crash in Old Greenwich

A man was arrested by Greenwich Police around 3:00am on Tuesday following a high speed chase.

At the time, Greenwich Police officers on patrol in Riverside observed a suspicious vehicle traveling down Chapel Street, which is a dead end street.

“He couldn’t explain why he was here in Greenwich at 3:00am,” said Lt. Slusarz of Greenwich Police Dept. “Police ran the plate, found it was stolen and suspecte dthe driver was not the owner. Also, his criminal history came up.”

Mr. Mohamud was found guilty in Hartford Superior Court of Failure to Appear, Probation Violations for incidents in Farmington stemming back to 2002 and 2012. Also he was convicted in court in Meriden of  Credit Card Fraud, a Class D Felony, for a 2014 incident in in Hamden. For that he was sentenced to 4 years in jail. He was found guilty in Meriden of identity theft, another class D Felony in 2014 for incident in Hamden and sentenced to two years in jail. In New London he was found guilty of Larceny 3 in 2014 for a 2011 incident in Norwich.

When officers approached the vehicle, it sped off at a high rate of speed.

Officers attempted to conduct a motor vehicle stop, but the driver didn’t stop, instead heading toward Old Greenwich.

When the driver attempted to elude police by turning down Tomac Ave in Old Greenwich, but crashed into a stand of trees.

“H couldn’t open the driver’s side door,” said Lt. Slusarz. “The cop let him out the passenger side door.”

Officers took the driver, Deria A Mohamud, 44, of 68 Wooddale Drive in Unionville, CT, into custody.

The vehicle was determined to have been stolen from Bradley International Airport near Hartford. State Troopers from Troop H are investigating. Mr. Mohamud was found to be in possession of the stolen car victim’s wallet.

He was charged with Larceny 1, Larceny 6, Reckless Driving, Operating under Suspension and Engaging Police in Pursuit.

The Larceny 1 charge was for the stolen car. The Larceny 6 charge was for the stolen wallet.

His bond was set at $25,000, which he was unable to post. He was assigned a court date on Feb 28, 2018 in Stamford Superior Court.