Retired Greenwich Police Lt James Fahy, 82

Retired Greenwich Police Lieutenant James Fahy died Wednesday night. Chief James Heavey announced Fahy’s death. Arrangements are pending.

Fahy began his 23 year career with the Greenwich Police Dept on December 16, 1968, and retired on August 1, 1991. He was 82.

Born in New York City on December 23, 1937 and was a graduate of All Hallows High School in Bronx NY.

Lieutenant Fahy received an Associate Degree in Criminal Justice from Norwalk Community College, a Bachelor’s Degree from Iona College in Criminal Justice and a Master’s Degree in Public Administration from the University of New Haven.

Before becoming a Greenwich Police Officer, Lt Fahy served as a Sergeant in the United States Air Force from 1955 to 1968, and continued as a Sergeant First Class in the US Army Reserve.

He also received the Connecticut State Police Citation for Courageous Action, the American Federation of Police Silver Star, the Sons of the American Revolution Law Enforcement Commendation Medal, and was the Greenwich Police Officer of the Year, John A. Clarke Award winner in 1975.

He is survived by his wife and sister-in-law.

Retired Lt. James Fahy is the only member of the Greenwich Police Dept to receive the Medal of Honor, for an incident back in 1974. April 27, 2015. Credit: Leslie Yager
Lt James Fahy. Photo: Greenwich Police Dept

Lieutenant Fahy remains the only recipient of the Greenwich Police Department Medal of Honor for his actions during a shoot-out with armed suspects and saving the life of a State Trooper.

Fahey received the Medal of Honor during a Silver Shield ceremony in April 2015.

Following is an excerpt from GFP’s coverage of that ceremony:

As Tommy Keegan told the story during the ceremony, Lt Fahy, then a Greenwich police officer, arrived on scene after State Trooper James Hoffman had apprehended three male suspects who had fled an armed robbery in Darien.

Fahy arrived on scene on I-95 southbound near the Greenwich tolls booths to assist Trooper Hoffman.

When he arrived, one suspect was seated with Hoffman in his state police car. The two other suspects remained in the front seat of a white Cadillac. As Fahy walked toward the Cadillac, the two suspects exited their car and the driver began to run ran toward Trooper Hoffman’s car.

The passenger pointed a rifle at Officer Fahy and ordered him to put his hands up. Officer Fahy drew his service revolver and fired four rounds at the passenger, striking him twice. The passenger fell dead.

At the same time, Trooper Hoffman exchanged gunfire with the other suspects, striking the approaching male as well as the suspect who had been seated in the state police car as he tried to escape. Both fell to the ground. Fahy approached Hoffman’s car and the operator of the Cadillac raised his weapon and fired one round at Fahey, who returned fire, striking the operator twice in the head, killing him instantly. The remaining suspect, wounded by Trooper Hoffman, was taken into custody. Neither Fahey nor Hoffman was injured.