Francis “Frank” Keegan, 79, Longtime Director of Greenwich Parks & Rec

Francis Henry Keegan, Jr. was born in Greenwich January 3, 1937 as one of five children born to Alice M. (McCourt) and Francis H. Keegan, Sr.  He entered into eternal rest on January 27, 2016.  A life-long resident of Greenwich, Frank attended Greenwich Public Schools and graduated from Greenwich High School in 1954.

Frank joined the Marines in 1956 attaining the rank of Buck Sergeant.  He was honorably discharged in September 1959, and later from the reserves in 1961.

Frank attended Iona College and graduated from the University of Bridgeport Cum Laude, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Secondary Education and English.  He received his Master of Arts degree from the New York School of Education in Administration and Recreation and Leisure Services in 1972 graduating Magna Cum Laude.

In 1963 Frank joined the Greenwich Department of Parks and Recreation and embarked on a long career providing residents with the finest recreation facilities and programs.  He worked his way up from Supervisor in 1963 to Assistant Superintendent of the Recreation Division in 1969 to Director of the Department of Parks and Recreation in 1973.  Frank retired from the Town July 31, 1995.

During his 32 year career, Frank initiated a number of programs, including slow-pitch softball in 1964, the Memorial Day Five Mile Road Race in 1964, and the eight man touch football league in 1964-65. Also, he reintroduced the 18 and over Twilight Baseball League 1964 and introduced the Town-wide K-8 Gymnastics program. He organized the first Town-wide Day Camp (Eastern Greenwich Civic Center and Greenwich Point) 1969, started Mariner Sailing Camp 1969, and served as the first Manager / Supervisor of the Town Skating Rink, which was later renamed to Hamill Rink. He was responsible for lighting the ball field at Byram Park 1975, and, oversaw the Town-wide Parks & Department from 1975 to 1989.

In addition to his duties as Parks & Recreation Director, he was an Adjunct Professor at Norwalk Community College from January 1977 to June 1995.  During his 19 years at NCC, he taught four classes and oversaw two internships for the Recreation and Leisure Services program.

Frank served on various boards and commissions in Greenwich including the Greenwich Boys & Girls Club, Town of Greenwich Affirmative Action Advisory Committee, Greenwich Arts Council,  Greenwich Teen Center and the Greenwich Council on Youth & Drugs.

In 1974 Frank was awarded “Boss of the Year” by the Junior Chamber of Commerce.  In 1987-88 he was named “Government Person of the Year” by the Chamber of Commerce.

In 1989 Frank was the Greenwich Old Timer’s Athletic Association Honoree for Outstanding Athletic Accomplishments and in 1994 he was the annual citation award winner for the Connecticut Parks and Recreation Association.

Frank engaged in distance and endurance competitions such as track and field, bicycle racing, biathlons, triathlons and road races.

In 2001 Frank moved to Florida with his wife Marie where they enjoyed golf, kayaking, bicycling and more.  Frank continued to run every day.

Frank was predeceased by his son Kenneth Keegan, brothers James and Paul Keegan.  He is survived by his wife of 55 years Marie L. (Bologna) Keegan of Florida, daughter Kimberly A. Keegan Cassia of Monroe, CT, sister Marion Neal of Greenwich, CT, brother Thomas G. Keegan of Murrils Inlet, SC,.  He leaves behind many nieces and nephews.

A service will be held in his honor in Hollywood, Florida on Feb. 12, and family are organizing a service in Greenwich in the future.