UPDATE June 23: Greenwich Historical Society has provided a series of maps of western Greenwich where West Putnam Ave intersects with East Weaver Street. In all four maps, a single building right up close to Rte 1 is visible. In two of the four maps the home is tagged “A. Slater.”
Original story: Another Company Coming from New Canaan to Knock Down a Greenwich Landmark?
Original story, June 22: A demolition permit application was filed at Greenwich Town Hall for 599 West Putnam on Thursday, June 18.
As with the property at 272 Round Hill Road (aka 5 Brynwood or “the John Knapp House” c 1760), recently demolished despite complaints from residents that resulted in a delay of demolition, the building at 599 West Putnam Ave is subject to the Town’s Delay of Demolition Ordinance.
The ordinance, which applies to buildings built before 1940, has a mandatory 45-day waiting period, during which or any person may object to the demolition. If an objection is filed, in writing to the Town’s building official Bill Marr at Town Hall, there will be an additional 45-day waiting period imposed on the application for a total of 90 days.
As with the John Knapp House and the applicant seeking to demolish the stone building at 599 West Putnam Ave, filled out an additional checklist which included getting sign-off by the Health Dept., notifying adjoining property owners by certified mail, and notifying both Amy Braitsch at the Greenwich Historical Society and Fifi Sheridan of the Town’s Historic District Commission, also by certified mail.
At the end of the 45 days [or 90 days if an objection is filed in writing] the application would be eligible for issuance.
As part of the Demolition Ordinance the applicant, Amec Carting, was required to notify adjacent property owners as well as publish a demolition notice in the Greenwich Time, which was done on Friday, June 19.
A demolition sign was also required to be placed on the building, which it was.
It is not immediately clear whether the demolition permit sought includes the stone wall which is built into the house, which dates back to at least 1900.
The owner is listed as Property CT OBJLW and the applicant is Amec Carting, LLC.
According to a search of the Connecticut Secretary of State’s office, Amec Carting, LLC, based in Norwalk, is registered to Guy Richard Mazolla with residence address at 106 Briscoe Rd in New Canaan. The Agent for Amec Carting is Todd H. Lampert with a business address of 46 Main Street in New Canaan.
Back in November 2014 the Planning & Zoning Commission voted unanimously to approve a final site plan and special permit with modifications to the applicant, OBJLW One Corporation. Improvements are specifically related to Buildings 1-6, Greenwich Office Park, located on property located at 18 Valley Drive, 0 West Putnam Avenue, 51 Weaver Street, and 599 West Putnam Avenue in the GBO zone.
The commission also voted a final subdivision to recognize as a separate lot and confirm certain lot lines for the 2.24 acres parcel known as 599 West Putnam Avenue and the 3.22 acres parcel know as One Weaver Street located in the GBO Zone.
Demolition was not part of the site plan application.
According to Greenwich’s Building Official, Bill Marr, interviewed by Greenwich Free Press in October, 189 demolition permits were issued in 2014.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.