UPDATE: The Garden Club of Old Greenwich will hold its 80th annual plant sale on Saturday May 13. The location has changed. It will be held at the The First Congregational Church of Greenwich, 108 Sound Beach Ave in Old Greenwich, from 9:00am to 1:00pm.
The event is rain or shine.
The sale will feature annuals, perennials, herbs and vegetables plus lovingly grown treasures from club members own gardens and will be a great place to find beautiful Mother’s Day baskets.
For 80 years, the Garden Club of Old Greenwich has been holding a sale to raise funds to benefit and beautify the town. It all started in the 1930’s with a seed sale called a “Flower Mart.”
By 1943-1944 the term “Plant Sale “ was used to promote the fundraising event. In the 1950’s, the club began publicity with photos and in the 1970’s introduced the very popular Mother’s Day baskets at the sale.
Since the 1930’s the event has been held at many different locations such as a barn owned by a member on Sound Beach Ave, the “Fairfield County Trust parking lot on the corner of Sound Beach and Arcadia (now Wells Fargo) , the Community Center on Arcadia Road (now the location of Le Fat Poodle) and at the Eastern Civic Center.
Over the years, the Garden Club of Old Greenwich’s community involvement has expanded. Originally, proceeds from the sale went towards the purchase of gardening utensils and to aiding the hospital and Red Cross committees of the club. Later, funds went towards maintaining the garden at Greenwich Point.
Now, the plant sale will help people make their gardens beautiful and proceeds from the sale will help the Garden Club maintain the Butterfly Garden at Greenwich Point, the Gateway Garden on the Post Road, and gardens at the Old Greenwich fire station, the train station, the post office and in Old Greenwich village. Funds from the sale will also support the club’s community outreach programs including, the Junior Garden program, the Garden Therapy programs at Pathways in Cos Cob and Hill House in Riverside and programs on gardening and the environment in partnership with the Perrot Library.”