Lt Kraig Gray gave a de-brief to media at 5pm at Greenwich High School following Wednesday’s lock down that lasted over three hours and kept student beyond dismissal time.
According to Lt. Gray, “We had a threat specific to time and place on a girls bathroom stall. The threat was transmitted through graffiti,” he said. “It was brought to the attention of security staff. The School Resource Officer Franco was consulted.”
Gray said the response to the threat was a lock down.
According to Lt. Gray, the lock down went smoothly inasmuch as it had been practiced by the Board of Education and students for years. “This is one of the largest schools in Connecticut,” Gray said. Greenwich High School enrolls about 2,700 students.
“This is a methodical process that takes time. The emphasis is on thoroughness, not time,” he said, adding that all students were patted down by school staff. Boys were patted down by men and girls were patted down by women.
Although this is a plan discussed in every school in the district, parents responded well, according to police.
“Were’ glad parents put their trust in us and cooperated,” Gray said, adding, “Students were as a whole cooperative and understood the potential gravity of the situation.”
Asked whether the students were afraid during the lock down, Gray said, “There is always the potential for something horrific. Of course students and parents should be concerned when there is a lock down. Lock down is code for ‘be concerned,'” he said.
Lt Gray said the police response was two pronged. The first phase was for Greenwich Police to clear the building and make sure all students were safe. He said that the next phase will be to continue the investigation. He said anyone with information should call the Greenwich Police tipline at (203) 576-TIPS or (203) 576-8477. All information is confidential.
Email news tips to Greenwich Free Press editor [email protected]
Like us on Facebook
Subscribe to the daily Greenwich Free Press newsletter.