The David Noble Theis Memorial College Scholarship was created to honor the late Honorable David Noble Theis, who was a passionate and patriotic resident of the Town of Greenwich.
He expressed this passion and patriotism in several forms, whether it was by being a hard-working private citizen, a trust-worthy and positive friend, an intimate and selfless civil servant as Selectman of the Town of Greenwich, or by his membership in the Greenwich Masonic Lodge, Acacia No. 85. Theis loved his native town to the core and his countrymen always came first.
In honor of Brother David Noble Theis’ passion for his local community and his deeply rooted love of country, eligible applicants are asked to write a three page essay on an historical event in the Town of Greenwich that had a lasting legacy or effect on the Town’s people and overall community.
Greenwich High School seniors who are interested in majoring in political science, international relations, government affairs, public policy or anything relative to leadership and public service are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Essays crafted from original ideas and well informed material will be given primary consideration in this scholarship, however, below are three possible topics for the essay any contestant may choose to write upon:
1. Who was Gen. Putnam and for what event in town is he famous?
2. Who owned Putnam Cottage during the Revolution? What did Timothy Knapp do as
tavern keeper that caused great alarm?
3. Who was Major-General Ebenezer Mead and where did his house move after the town purchased land to build the high school?
Ancient Free & Accepted Masons Acacia Lodge No. 85
Deadline: June 10, 2018
Decision: July 31, 2018
Annual Scholarship Award Application
• In recognition of academic achievement and community service
•$2,000 will be awarded to a single recipient who will be attending an institute of higher education in the fall of 2018
• Qualifying student must be scheduled to graduate in the 2017-2018 academic
year from Greenwich High School
• Completed applications must be received or postmarked by June 10, 2018.
1. Student Name__________________________
3. Phone________________ Email _________________________
4. Name of Current School ______________________________
5. Current Weighted Grade Point Average ______/4.0 Gender _________
6. Attach a three page, single-spaced essay discussing an event in Greenwich history that has had a lasting effect on the town; or a town citizen who has made a lasting effect on the town; or choose to write about one of the three following topics:
a. Who was Gen. Putnam and for what event in town is he famous?
b. Who owned Putnam Cottage during the Revolution? What did Timothy Knapp do as tavern keeper that caused great alarm?
c. Who was Major-General Ebenezer Mead and where did his house move after the town purchased land to build the high school?
7. Attach a description of the circumstances of your financial need1
8. Statement: I hereby certify that all information contained on this application and required attachments is complete and true to the best of my knowledge.
1 300 words of less for this particular attachment
Printed Name____________________ Date ________________
AFAM, Acacia Lodge No. 85
PO Box 4663
Greenwich, CT 06830