77-Year-Old New Canaan Man Charged in Wife’s Fatal Shooting

Written by Mike Dinan and originally published on NewCanaanite.com

Police on Thursday charged a 77-year-old New Canaan man in the fatal shooting of his wife at home, officials say.

Albert Kokoth. New Canaan Police Department booking photo

Albert Kokoth of 19 Down River Road has been charged with second-degree assault, second-degree assault with a firearm and illegal discharge of a firearm, according to a press release issued by New Canaan Police Lt. Jason Ferarro, the department’s public information officer.

More charges are expected in the active investigation, he said.

At about 12:02 p.m. Albert Kokoth made a 911 call describing an accidental shooting at the home, the press release said.

His wife, Margaret Kokoth, died as a result of a gunshot wound, it said.

Following an investigation, police determined that a crime had occurred and arrested Albert Kokoth. He’s being held on $1 million bond and is scheduled to appear Friday in state Superior Court.

New Canaan Police and New Canaan Emergency Medical Services vehicles could be seen outside the family’s split-level home in the hours that followed the shooting.

The New Canaan Police Investigative Section is leading the investigation jointly with the Stamford State’s Attorney’s Office, with assistance from the Connecticut State Police Western District Major Crime Squad, who is processing the crime scene. The Connecticut Medical Examiner’s Office also is assisting with the investigation, police said.

Running east off of Main Street above and perched above Fivemile RIver, Down River Road is a short dead-end street of nine modest single- and multi-family homes built in the 1950s and ‘60s.

The Kokoths purchased their home in 1994, tax records show.

The shooting is the first spousal killing in New Canaan since Jennifer Dulos went missing on Memorial Day weekend two years ago—her estranged husband one week later was charged in connection with the disappearance, and last January was charged with murder. Fotis Dulos killed himself about one week after that.