- Winter Recess runs from Monday, Feb. 10 through Monday Feb 18. School resumes Tuesday, Feb. 19.
- GHS 8th Grade Parent Orientation is set for Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 7:00p.m. (snow date Feb. 24)
- Board of Ed Meeting is Thursday, Feb. 20 at 7:00p.m. New Lebanon School
- Magnet School deadline for all Greenwich Public Schools magnet schools is Friday, Feb. 28, 2014.
- Western Middle School (WMS) will host its first Information Sessions as a partial magnet school on Tues., Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. and on Thurs., Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:00 a.m.Western is an authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School offering a three-year Middle Years Programme (MYP). All families with students entering Grades 6 through 8 interested in applying to Western are welcome to attend the information sessions to learn more about the school and the IB program.In October 2014, the Board of Education voted unanimously to open Western Middle School as a partial magnet school beginning with the 2014-2015 school year. Any incoming Grade 6-8* student residing in Greenwich is eligible to apply for a magnet seat for the upcoming school year.
Western Middle School was authorized as an IB World School in September 2013 after a rigorous process that requires candidate schools to teach the program for at least one year, participate in professional learning opportunities, submit two very comprehensive applications for authorization, and host a site visit by IB officials. WMS was commended by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) for the community’s collective and active role in establishing the program. Siva Kumari, Ed.D., the IBO’s Chief Operating Officer for the Schools Division noted that, as an IB World School, Western Middle School is “part of a global community of schools committed to developing knowledgeable, caring young people who will be ready to negotiate their futures successfully and make contributions resulting in a more harmonious and peaceful world.”
* Incoming Grade 6-8 student residing in the Western Middle School attendance area need not apply; they are assured placement at the school.
Greenwich Public Schools Magnet School Application ProcessIn addition to Western Middle School, magnet school* applications are available for Hamilton Avenue School, The International School at Dundee, and Julian Curtiss School.Applications and information are available on the GPS web site.
*New Lebanon School will not be accepting magnet school applications for the 2014-2015 school year due to space constraints, except for siblings of magnet students currently enrolled in the school for next year.
- Fall 2014 Kindergarten Registration and Orientation. Children who turn five by Dec. 31, 2014 are eligible for Kindergarten. The process starts with kindergarten orientation for parents at each of the schools on Feb. 21, 2014 (snow date Feb. 26). Parents are then asked to make an appointment in March for Kindergarten Registration to verify residency and register incoming Kindergarteners at their respective schools. In May there is a visitation day on May 14 from 1:00pm – 3:00p.m. Click here for for school specific orientation schedule on Feb. 21, 2014.
May 14, Dismissal and buses for this year’s kindergarten classes will be at 12:00noon on May 14.