Two Teens Killed in Early Morning Crash on Canal Street in Stamford, Four Injured

Update, Aug 27, 2019. Stamford Police said in a statement on Facebook that the car that crashed on Canal Street around 2:30amon Aug 26 was a 2008 Nissan Altima which struck two utility poles and completely knocked them both over. When the car came to a stop it had live electrical wires on top. Three of the six occupants were able to exit the vehicle, but three were trapped inside.

“Due to the wires being energized, SFRD had to wait for Eversource to de-energize the lines. Once the lines were de-energized, SFRD was able to remove two of the three occupants. The third occupant who was left in the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene.”

The vehicle was being driven by Jerry Diaz, an 18 y.o. Stamford resident. The passenger that died on the scene was identified as 19 y.o. Stamford resident Kymoni Pollock. The passenger that died after being transported to Stamford Hospital was identified as 18 y.o. Stamford resident NiShawn Tolliver. Both Diaz, and another passenger identified as Amaiya Callahan, a 19 y.o. Stamford resident were transported to Stamford Hospital in critical condition. The remaining two passengers, 19 y.o. Erica Stephens and 20 y.o. Alontia Moore, both of Stamford, were transported to Stamford Hospital in serious condition.”

– Stamford Police statement on Facebook, Sergeant Jeffrey Booth, Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Squad Supervisor/Reconstructionist

Stamford Police C.A.R.S. is asking anyone with information regarding this crash to call (203) 977-4712. The investigation is being conducted by Sgt. Jeffrey Booth, Ofc Andre Czubatyj, and Ofc. Sean Grabowski.

Original story, Aug 26, 2019: A major accident on Canal Street on Monday around 2:30am has resulted in two deaths of two teenagers, two people in critical condition, and two in serious condition.

Three girls and three boys, all in their late teens, were in the car, a blue sedan, headed south on Canal Street at the time of the crash. One boy died on scene, a second died in the hospital. Both were in the back seat.

Chanel 12 is reporting that the driver of the sedan was heading down Canal Street when he lost control and hit two utility poles. The car came to a stop tangled in wires and sections of utility pole.

Police expect it will take two to three days to clean up the scene and Eversource must remove the wires before police remove the vehicle. He said he expects 2-3 days to clean up the entire scene.

Stamford Police Sergeant Jeff Booth said speed was a factor in the crash.

The police have not identified the names of the victims of the crash.

Police say Henry St between Pacific St and Canal St is closed to all traffic due to the investigation and advise that those trying to access Ludlow street should drive the wrong way on Ludlow Street until Canal street reopens. Police are directing traffic.