Investigation that Included Greenwich Police Results in Waterbury Man’s Guilty Plea to Heroin Distribution

Ronald Weaver, 38, of Waterbury, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in Bridgeport federal court to one count of possession with intent to distribute, and distribution of, heroin.

The charge stems from an ongoing statewide initiative targeting narcotics dealers who distribute heroin, fentanyl or opioids that cause death or serious injury to users.

The plea was announced by Deirdre Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, and Michael J. Ferguson, Special Agent in Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration for New England.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on March 11, 2016, Newtown Police and emergency medical personnel responded to a residence in Newtown on the report of a 30-year-old female who was in cardiac arrest.

The victim was transported to the hospital where she subsequently died.  Medical records and witness interviews revealed that the victim had a history of substance abuse, and the family of the victim turned over to law enforcement several wax folds of heroin, several empty folds and other drug paraphernalia.

The investigation revealed that the victim purchased heroin and other drugs from at least two sources in the days leading up to her death.  One of the sources worked as a “runner” who conducted drug transactions for Weaver.

Between June and August 2016, law enforcement made four controlled purchases of heroin from Weaver.

Weaver has been detained since his arrest on August 9, 2016.  He is scheduled to be sentenced by U.S. District Judge Stefan R. Underhill on December 28, 2016, at which time he faces a maximum term of imprisonment of 20 years.

This matter is being investigated by the DEA’s New Haven Tactical Diversion Squad, which includes DEA agents and task force officers from the Greenwich, New Haven, Hamden, Shelton, Bristol, Vernon, Wilton, Milford, Monroe, Fairfield and Manchester Police Departments, and the Connecticut State Police.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Avi M. Perry.