Updated 8:00am Sunday, Sept 27
Road Closures
Greenwich Police are advising residents and motorists of several storm-related road closures and obstructions currently impacting travel throughout Greenwich.
As crews continue to assess damage and work to clear affected roadways, the following locations are currently impacted:
FULL ROAD CLOSURES
- 403 Taconic Road
- 31 Fairway Lane
- 261 Cognewaugh Road
- 1 Museum Drive
- 90 Porchuck Road
- 82 Brookside Drive
- 16 Round Hill Road
- 40 Lower Cross Road
- 111 Bible Street
- 59 Halsey Drive
- 591 Riversville Road
- 3 North Street
- 1 Western Junior Highway
- 9 Paddock Drive*
PARTIAL ROAD CLOSURES
- 372 Shore Road
- 495 Field Point Road
DEBRIS
- 38 Cutler Road
- 68 Prospect Street
HAZARD ONLY
- 53 Beechcroft Road
- 420 North Street
Motorists should avoid impacted areas whenever possible and use alternate routes. Never drive around barricades, cones, or other traffic control devices. Additional road closures may occur as conditions change.
Updated 7:00pm, Saturday, Sept 26
The forecast remains on track, but there is still some uncertainty regarding the storm’s intensity as it moves into our area tonight. Current guidance suggests northeast wind gusts of 55-65 mph along the coast and 50-60 mph inland, with the strongest winds expected through Sunday morning.
Current Local Status
⚠️ 177 Greenwich residents are currently without power
⚠️ Several road closures are in effect due to downed trees and utility wires:
• 31 Fairway Lane
• 261 Cognewaugh Road
• 1 Museum Drive
• 90 Porchuck Road
⚠️ Eversource crews are actively working utility-related incidents across town.
⚠️ As winds strengthen this evening, restoration times may be extended if incidents begin to outpace available crews.
Updated 2:30pm, Saturday, Sept 26
Overnight and through this morning, periods of heavy rain and increasing winds impacted the area as the ongoing Hybrid Nor’Easter continues to affect the region.
Current Conditions & Impacts
- Several instances of coastal road flooding occurred during this morning’s high tide cycle in the Sound Beach, Old Greenwich, and Riverside areas. While no significant damage was reported, several roads were temporarily closed due to tidal flooding and standing water. Conditions have since improved.
- Most of the power outages reported this morning have been restored. However, additional outages have occurred throughout the day. At this time, 169 customers remain without power across four active incidents. The majority of current outages are in the Banksville area.
- Multiple utility crews remain deployed throughout town. I spoke with several contractor crews staging in back-country locations who advised they are actively responding to outages as they are reported.
- The only current road closure is in the area of Taconic Road near 403 Taconic Road.
- Many events cancelled today but there are a few private events running today.
- Tod’s Point gates were closed at 11:00am by Parks today as waves were crashing above the stone wall by the pavilion. I was there around 11:20am and the access road was flooding at that time.
Announcement from Greenwich Police, Saturday, Sept 26
The Greenwich Police Department continues to monitor the ongoing weather event and its impacts throughout the Town of Greenwich. Residents should be prepared for prolonged periods of rain, strong winds, coastal flooding, downed trees and power lines, and additional power outages throughout the weekend.
According to the latest National Weather Service forecast, the area could receive 3 to 5 inches of rainfall, with periods of moderate to heavy downpours. A Coastal Flood Warning remains in effect, with strong winds, coastal flooding, dangerous rip currents, high surf, and beach erosion among the anticipated impacts.
We are advising residents and motorists of several storm-related road closures and obstructions currently impacting travel throughout Greenwich.
As crews continue to assess damage and work to clear affected roadways, the following locations are currently impacted:
Current Full Road Closure:
- 151 Clapboard Ridge Road
Current Partial Road Closures:
N/A
Motorists should avoid impacted areas whenever possible and use alternate routes. Never drive around barricades, cones, or other traffic control devices. Additional road closures may occur as conditions change.
Weather Impacts
Wind: North to northeast wind gusts of 45–55 mph, with isolated gusts up to 60 mph, are possible through early Sunday. The prolonged wind and rain, combined with trees still in full foliage, may result in downed tree limbs, trees, and power lines. Additional power outages are possible.
Coastal Flooding: High tide cycles through Sunday afternoon may produce moderate to locally major coastal flooding along portions of the coastline.
Rainfall: Total rainfall amounts of 3–5 inches are possible in parts of the region. Minor urban, poor-drainage, and nuisance flooding is expected, and isolated flash flooding cannot be ruled out. Rainfall is expected to continue through Monday.
Eversource Response
Eversource has activated its Emergency Response Plan in preparation for and response to the storm. Utility crews have been pre-positioned in the area.
As of the latest update, 166 Greenwich residents are without power. Additional outages are possible as strong winds and heavy rain continue.
Residents should stay away from all downed or low-hanging wires and always assume they are energized. Downed power lines should be reported directly to 911.
Emergency and Non-Emergency Calls
The Greenwich Police Department anticipates a high volume of calls throughout the storm. Please call 911 only for emergencies. Residents contacting the Police Department’s non-emergency line are asked to remain patient, as dispatchers are managing emergency and non-emergency calls while coordinating responses throughout town.
Residents are encouraged to continue monitoring official Town of Greenwich and Greenwich Police Department communications for updated road closures, storm conditions, and other important safety information. Conditions can change quickly, and additional closures or hazards may develop as the storm continues.
CANCELLATIONS
• Adopt A Dog Puttin’ on the Dog Canceled for Sept 27
Note: Adopt A Dog has decided to cancel Puttin’ On The Dog, scheduled for Sunday, September 27. With a Nor’easter expected to bring high winds and significant coastal flooding, the safety of our dogs, guests, volunteers, vendors, sponsors, and staff must come first.
Puttin’ On The Dog is Adopt-A-Dog’s largest fundraiser of the year, providing critical support for the food, shelter, medical care, training, and enrichment our dogs need while they wait for loving homes. Although the event cannot go forward, that work continues every day.
Anyone who purchased tickets in advance, Adopt A Dog will send them a charitable contribution receipt for their records. Anyone who had intended to buy tickets at the gate, please consider donating an amount equal to the planned ticket purchase. Your support will help ensure that, even though Puttin’ On The Dog cannot take place this year, the dogs who depend on us will continue to receive the care they need.
Your generosity would help mitigate the significant impact of this cancellation and ensure that the funds from your ticket go directly toward caring for the dogs who depend on us. Adopt A Dog will gladly provide a charitable contribution acknowledgment for your records.
Half Marathon
An important update regarding the Greenwich Half Marathon. After careful consideration & consultation with Town officials, the Greenwich Road Runners have made the difficult decision to postpone Sunday’s race due to the forecast for high winds, potential coastal flooding, power outages, & fallen trees & power lines.
The race has been rescheduled for Sunday, October 18.
The safety of our runners, volunteers, spectators, & the community remains our highest priority. While we are disappointed to postpone the event, we believe this is the right decision given the expected conditions.
All registered participants will automatically be transferred to the new race date. Participants who are unable to attend on October 18 may defer their registration to the 2027 race.
If anyone had planned to run on September 27 but was not previously able to register, we still have spots available for October 18 & would be delighted to welcome additional runners.
https://runsignup.com/Race/