Stamford Sailfish Aquatic Club, only in its fourth year, is celebrating recent recognition by USA Swimming for the achievements of its swimmers. The team has earned a place in the Top 200 Team list in the U.S.
These achievements come within the same year our team was acknowledged by the American Swim Coaches Association as a Top 100 Age Group Team.
Also, In November, despite 9 months of abnormal practices during the 2020 pandemic, swimmer Connor Morikawa, qualified for U.S. Olympic Trials. This achievement shows a relentless commitment and dedication to his sport.
Connor Morikawa (age 19) competed at the Toyota U.S. Open in Richmond, VA in November where he qualified for the U.S. Olympic Trials in the 100m Breaststroke, setting a new CT and Resident record with a time of 1:01.38. Previous to joining the Sailfish, Connor swam under Coach Connie at YMCA Greenwich Marlins. He now attends Georgetown University, on-line, due to the pandemic. Olympic Trials will be held in June 2021.
During the first four years as a team, many Sailfish swimmers have exceeded their goals and gained a place among the nations’ top swimmers.
• USA Swimming #1 ranked 11 year old girl in 50 LCM Breaststroke and #2 ranking in the 100 LCM Breaststroke – Bryce Gold
• Eastern Zone LCM Championship 11-12 girls 2x winner in 50 and 100 Breaststroke – Bryce Gold
• Nine National Top Ten Times 11-12 girls – Bryce Gold
• Nationally-ranked (7th place) Boys 15-16 200 Medley Relay, setting new CT and Resident record – Alex Ye, Nicholas Speares, Liam Flaherty, David Ponce
• Nationally-ranked (8th place) Boys 15-16 400 Medley Relay, setting a new CT and Resident record – Alex Ye, Nicholas Speares, Liam Flaherty, David Ponce
Swimming has proven to be a safe activity during the pandemic, and has provided the swimmers a means for safe social and healthy activity. Coach Connie’s focus is on individual athlete development together with improved stroke technique. Personal improvement helps build an athletes’ self esteem which has a positive influence on the swimmers’ lives and academics.
The team practices at the Boys & Girls Club facility on the Post Road in Stamford. Coach Connie Wu can be reached at [email protected]