Recently, residents were upset that people were holding places in line outside Dorothy Hamill Rink in Byram. The rink is operating with a limited capacity during Covid-19.
Each youth skater may have one adult spectator accompany them, but a family could all get into the rink if they were all skating, or if the number of adult spectators was equal to or less than the number of youth skaters.
Charlie Juergens, a Greenwich resident, said that without a better system, if one parent waits in line and then a spouse shows up with three children, four people who had been waiting behind them are bumped.
On Facebook, GFP readers griped at the unfairness and about a dozen people suggested some type of reservation system, whether the staff passed out numbers to people in line, or that the town create an online reservation system similar to the one for reserving tennis court time.
On Friday afternoon, residents were pleased to learn that Parks & Rec had listened and implemented an online reservation system for public skating sessions.
Starting for the public skating session on the afternoon of Sunday, Jan 10, the rink, which is limited to 25 skaters due to Covid-19 , residents can secure a reservation and pay for their admission online at www.greenwichct.gov/webtrac.
This option only available to residents and their family members. Guests and non-residents must wait in line at the rink if there is availability to skate.
The reservation process for skaters is as follows:
- Reservations/ registration opens at 8:00 a.m. the day prior to the desired session.
- Registration closes an hour before the session starts,unless already full.
- Residents sign into their household account at www.greenwichct.gov/webtrac
- Click the Dorothy Hamill Rink Button
- Click Public Session Tab; public sessions options will open
- The available option will be in green, add to cart. Choose the family members participating in skating, add to cart. Finish and pay.
- Please bring your receipt to the rink.
- Skate rental purchase is available at the rink.
The skating rink is open for public sessions. Additional public sessions may be added. As a result of the pause on sports through January 19, ice rentals are on a restricted basis. For all rink activities, only one adult parent/guardian spectator will be admitted to the rink along with a child skater.
Stick and Puck sessions will be held throughout the season. Please take notice of concussion safety precautions. For complete information on the 2020-2021 skating season at the Dorothy Hamill Skating Rink, download the 2020-2021 Rink Brochure. For a printer-friendly version of the brochure, click here.
SKATING RINK RULES
- COVID-19 regulations apply to all who enter
- Must wear a face mask at all times on and off the ice
- Must maintain social distance inside and on line outside the rink
- Spectators are limited to 1 adult per child skater
- Door will remain locked; building will open approximately 10 minutes prior to ice time.
- No holding spots in line allowed
- Absolutely no bags allowed; you must come dressed to skate, except for putting on your skates
- We offer skate rentals but no helmet rentals
- No re-entry if you leave the rink
- All other regular rink rules apply
- If you have additional questions, please call the rink at 203-531-8560.