A day of summer fun and adventure is in store at the Historical Society’s Scavenger Hunt on Sunday, July 17, which will enable participants to explore the landmarks, people and spaces that make Greenwich the vibrant community it is today.
Families, children and seniors are invited to join a thrilling race to uncover clues that highlight our town’s legends and gems. The winners will be feted at a celebration later in the day at the Historical Society campus.
The Scavenger Hunt is a highlight of the Discover Greenwich series of events that create a greater sense of place, connection and belonging among Greenwich residents during the 90th anniversary of the Greenwich Historical Society. “We designed the hunt to be a fun, interactive adventure to appeal to all age groups for exploring our town’s heritage and what makes it special and unique,” says Stephanie Barnett, Public Programs Manager for the Historical Society.
How the Scavenger Hunt works:
- Teams consisting of 2 – 10 participants will be formed. Each team will create a ‘team Instagram’ account in advance of the competition. Clues about the landmarks, people and places that need to be identified will be emailed to the team members in advance and made available at the Museum store.
- Teams assemble at the Historical Society at 10 am. Using clues provided, each team will navigate across town between 10 – 2 pm and identify as many locations from the clues as possible, take photos of the sites and post to their team Instagram account in order to earn points.
- Teams may use all available resources (i.e. internet) to solve the clues, and use their preferred mode of transportation between sites.
- Locations of the clues will be in three categories, with 15 clues per category:
- Local Landmarks
- Notable Neighborhoods
- Community Connections
- Participants will gather at 3:00pm at the Historical Society for a festive celebration and announcement of winners of the hunt.
- Prizes will be awarded to the three highest scoring teams. Points will be based on the number of clues identified, photographed and posted. The Grand Prize-winning team will receive two Empire State Building Executive Passes, each including complimentary admission for up to six people to the 86th floor observatory, the 2nd floor exhibits and an interactive audio guide. Additional prizes will be offered to teams that score in 2nd and 3rd place.
Deadline for team registration is Wednesday, July 13th. For more information and to register, visit: https://greenwichhistory.org/event/scavenger-hunt/. In case of rain, the event will be held the following weekend on Sunday, July 24th.