A Bloc of Writers, a Greenwich-based writing, editing, and tutoring company, will teach a writing workshop at the Greenwich YWCA from 6:00 to 8:30pm on July 29, 30, 31 and August 1.
The workshop is open to students entering grades 10 through 12.
Rising seniors will begin, and get feedback on, their college application essays—and they’ll leave with a first draft of their Common App essay.
Underclassmen will have the opportunity to practice writing personal essays before they have to tackle college essays, as well as review the Common App prompts and supplemental essay prompts.
“The summer workshop is fun, it’s affordable, and it’s designed to teach students how to write winning personal essays,” said Michele Turk, founder of A Bloc of Writers.
“Our goal is to help high school students reach their writing goals, whether you are a rising senior who would like to get a head start on your college application essays or an underclassman who wants to hone your writing skills.”
The workshop will be taught by Michele Turk, Daisy Florin and Jen Deinard, all published writers and editors who live in Greenwich.
The workshop is designed to familiarize high school students with essay writing, boost confidence, and improve writing and language skills.
- Learn the various elements of an effective narrative essay, including dialogue, voice, scene setting and structure
- Perform several in-class writing exercises designed to make your writing more powerful, descriptive and effective
- Learn how to tackle a writing prompt, brainstorm ideas for essays and organize and focus essays
- Receive one-on-one feedback in a supportive environment
- Learn the tools and tricks of the trade, including how to transform life experiences into extraordinary stories
“After participating in this workshop, students will understand how to come up with topics, organize essays and ace their college essays—when the time comes—with less help from tutors like us,” said Turk.
A Bloc of Writers is a Greenwich-based writing, editing, and tutoring company. We specialize in helping students write impressive, authentic college application essays.
Register HERE. Class size is limited. Scholarships are available for students on a first come first serve basis for students who demonstrate financial need. Email [email protected] for more information.